It’s fair to say that my obsession with coconut oil is a real problem! For years, this versatile beauty product has been a staple in my bathroom cabinet. What’s not to love? It has an endless list of uses, it’s cheap, easy to source and it’s organic. In my eyes this is my no.1 beauty find of all time!
Coconut oil holds the answer to many puzzling beauty questions. Dry and damaged hair you can’t control? Weak and brittle nails? Un-even skin tone? Coconut oil alleviates so many of our beauty problems. Not forgetting it’s super healthy to cook with!
At room temperature or above, coconut oil is a white, waxy looking solid. One scoop heated in the palm of your hands turns this solid into a luxurious beauty elixir; which you can pretty much do anything with.
It seems like everyone has jumped on the coconut oil bandwagon. For that reason it can get quite confusing as to what brand to use. Although brand preference is not important, I always repurchase the Biona Organic Coconut Virgin Oil from Amazon.co.uk. It is important, however, to always go for pure, unrefined, oragnic coconut oil. If you’re not sure, check the ingredients. If it doesn’t mention any of the key words above then it’s not 100% coconut oil!
Here’s my top 10 list of beauty uses for coconut oil:-
1. Hot oil hair treatment – If you suffer from split ends, dry or course hair then coconut oil could be the easiest (not forgetting cheapest) treatment you could ever give your locks! Scoop a couple of tablespoons (dependent on length of hair) into a heat resistant bowl and heat for a few seconds in the microwave. This will melt and heat the oil to a reasonable temperature; which you can then massage into your hair. I like to focus mostly on the ends as this is where my hair is the most dry. Leave to soak in your hair for at least an hour and rinse to reveal a seriously shiny mane. For an extra boost of moisture, wrap hair in a heated towel once you have applied the oil to help it penetrate further into the hair shaft.
2. Night time beauty oil – There’s no better feeling than taking off your makeup at the end of a long day. Once you have completed your usual cleanser and toner routine, treat your skin to a pea-sized amount of coconut oil. Massage the oil all over your face before you retire for the evening and wake up to glowing, even toned skin. Don’t worry about getting it on your pillow as coconut oil is completely natural and does not clog your pores.
3. Body moisturiser – Coconut oil is just as good for your body as it is for your face. I usually treat myself twice a week to a slathering of this oil after a full body exfoliation. It calms your skin down after scuffing away all of the dead skin cells and leaves your skin as smooth as a baby’s behind. To top it off you get to smell like a tropical island all day!
4. Nail and cuticle oil – If you suffer from dry cuticles or splitting/peeling nails then rub a small amount of coconut oil into each nail bed to treat them.
5. Eyebrow/eyelash growth – Studies have shown that regular use of coconut oil on your eyebrows and eyelashes can help them to grow thicker and longer. Take an old mascara wand or spoolie, dip into the coconut oil and layer onto your eyebrows and eyelashes. Continued use can make a real difference. For an extra boost, add some cold pressed castor oil to the coconut oil before applying.
6. Makeup remover – If you find yourself out of makeup wipes or eye makeup remover then soak a cotton pad with coconut oil and apply to your face. The oil instantly dissolves the most stubborn of makeup including waterproof mascara!
7. Make your own luscious body scrub – If you’re like me then you will agree that a lot of body scrubs on the market are hugely overpriced for something that you’re eventually going to wash off your body! Here’s a little beauty secret…make your own! If you take a look at the ingredients list on many body scrubs on the shelves, you will find that coconut oil is a vital component. So why not make your own? Many of the ingredients can be found in your kitchen. Mix some melted coconut oil with brown sugar and a few drops of essential oil for a beautifully fragrant scrub. If your skin is in need of toning and invigorating then mix some melted coconut oil with ground coffee granules and high quality coco powder for a chocolaty mix that will certainly wake you up in the morning!
8. Shave your legs – We’ve all been there. You’re in the shower, preparing to get those legs ready for that glamorous night out and low and behold – there’s no more foam coming out of that bottle. What do you do? Grab some coconut oil! The heat from your skin will automatically melt the oil so that you can distribute it all over your skin. Not only will the oil protect you from any shaving nicks, but its skin soothing properties will calm down irritated skin.
9. Kissable lips – Coconut oil is the ideal remedy for chapped lips, especially when it’s in its solid state. Store some in a mini container and smooth over lips throughout the day.
10. Oil pulling for whiter teeth – Oil pulling has been around for years, but only recently became popular with the influence of celebrities such as Kylie Jenner. Swish a tablespoon of coconut oil around your mouth for a few minutes for a whiter smile.
Buy your jar of Biona Organic Coconut Oil from here – www.Amazon.co.uk